The Govan Mbeki Municipality has outlined a list of containment and mitigation measures to decrease the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic during a meeting with stakeholders on Friday, 20 March 2020.
Actions taken by the municipality:
• the municipality responded in two-fold, through internal and external interventions.
• Internally, the response is targeting employees and visitors to the municipality.
• Externally, the response if geared towards the public and in particular in the manner in which services will be affected.
• The municipality is ensuring that the community has access to running water.
• Areas without water will be serviced through water tanks.
• All library services have been suspended. Members of the public will only be able to return books that are due.
• All municipal-owned public facilities such as halls and sports fields have been closed to the public. Where bookings were made in advance, the municipality will refund the applicants.
• Security services as visitors enter the municipal facilities; they will need to be sanitised.
• Municipal pay points will continue to operate in line with new safety protocols aimed to protect front-line employees and our customers.
• Residents are encouraged to pay for services as per norm and may do so online and via accredited pay stations and providers.
• the gathering must not be more than 100 people.
• Funeral undertakers and families of the deceased will be allocated time to arrive and depart the cemetery.
• Not more than three (3) funerals will be allowed at a cemetery within an Hour.
• Burials will be allocated times that will spread from 07:00 -15:00 on first come first serve basis.
• Potential areas for quarantine have been identified and will be communicated after approval by the Department of Health.
• In Mpumalanga, Rob Ferreira Hospital has been identified as the designated hospital for COVID-19.
• The above measures require various stakeholders to corporate.
• Churches, public transport operators, liquor outlets, traditional leaders, business and all organs of state.
• Law enforcement agencies including, SAPS to assist in enforcing the directives of the President.