Social media was abuzz after different task teams of the South African Police (SAPS) recovered a bakkie stolen at gun point in eMbalenhle in just three hours. The people showed their appreciation to the men and women in uniform for their great work.
A Ford Ranger was taken at gun point around 20h30 in Ext 1 by a gang. The owner reported the incident to the police. An activation plan was executed and Secunda Cluster, eMbalenhle Police and Leandra Police worked together and gave chase to the culprits. The bakkie was recovered on the R50 towards Leandra. The suspects fled the scene. Fortunately, no one was injured. It was reported that the gang was very aggressive towards the owner of the bakkie. Hijacking incidents are on the rise in the Govan Mbeki Municipality and surrounding areas. Criminals are targeting SUVs and bakkies.
This is what you can do when you are being highjacked:
- Don’t argue with the hijackers.
- Never try to fight back; do what they tell you to do.
- If possible, try to avoid driving at night in high risk spots.
- Keep all windows closed and doors locked. 5. Always keep a safe following distance when driving, especially when approaching traffic lights or stop signs.
- If you suspect that you are being followed, drive to the nearest police station or any safe place.
- Sandile Mkhwanazi