Urgent message on electricity in Bethal and eMzinoni
The Bulletin has been reporting on the ongoing electricity problems in Bethal and eMzinoni. Last night the protests continued. A message was sent this morning and it stated: Urgent message on electricity in Bethal and eMzinoni.
This morning the electricity was back on but between 06H30 and 09H30 there had been two power cuts already, a source told The Bulletin.
The GMM Management, Communications Unit sent out the following message this morning.
“The Govan Mbeki Municipality has appointed a service provider to attend to the electricity situation in Bethal and eMzinoni.
The Contractor is currently on site attending to the situation.
The GMM leadership is very concerned with the electricity challenges faced by our people in all corners of the municipality with specific reference to eMbalenhle and Bethal/eMzinoni.
It is against this background that the municipality would like to profusely apologise for the inconveniences caused by the electricity challenges.
We appeal for calm and cooperation from the community as the municipality attends to the issue through the appointed Contractor.”
According to another source, this contractor was hired to assist with one of the substations when the breakers exploded.
“The parts have arrived and the they are busy working on it,” the source said.
Cllr Mariaan Chamberlain said the following: “Some residents have been without electricity since Sunday and have lost a lot of perishables as well as electrical equipment. During this load shedding, which carries on in some instances up to 9 hours, is now leading up for residents not being able to enjoy breakfast, lunch, or in some instances not supper.”
“Old age homes are also affected, as some residents are on oxygen machines and is badly affected by this untimely power outages. Electricity network needs to be audited and upgraded to relieve the load shedding,” she continued.
The Bulletin will keep you updated on this matter.