Donate and HELP us spread the News

We need your HELP!, Donate R50 to assist The Bulletin in reporting on your Community News. Click on the donate button on the right. →

Monday, September 21, 2020
16.1 C

    Crime Snippets

    The master of high court and companion remanded in custody

    The Mpumalanga Master of High Court, Bina Masuku (44) and her companion Elvis Kgosiemang (35) were remanded in custody by the Nelspruit Magistrate Court on Monday, 11 November, after they were arrested by members of the Hawks’ Serious Commercial Crime Investigation Unit on 7 and 8 November respectively for Fraud, Corruption, Money Laundering and Contravention of the Immigration Act. 
    The investigation, which was launched by the Serious Commercial Investigations, has been probing the alleged siphoning of claimant’s funds from the Master’s office for almost two years.It was established that the senior official allegedly directed claimants to her “lawyer” boyfriend to process their claims. Some claimants never received their monies.  Instead it was shared among the two. 
    So far almost R1.7 million has since disappeared from eight families.Enquiries have revealed that the boyfriend is not a lawyer and also that Masuku misrepresented the State by claiming to be a South African. The Department of Home Affairs’ Immigration Division has finalised their investigation into her status in the country. It is suspected that the missing R1.7 million is just the tip of the iceberg and affected members of the Mpumalanga community are urged to contact Captain Mandla Mphephethe @071 4813295.

    Public assistance sought for Sam Holdings’ general manager
    murder case

    The Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation in Mpumalanga is urging anyone who knows the whereabouts of Mhlabuyaxega Khumalo. It is believed that Khumalo can assist the investigators with valuable information regarding circumstances under which the late Nkosinathi Ngcobo (30) was allegedly murdered on the night of 12 September. Ngcobo was shot and killed while on duty at Sam Holdings truck depot. Phindokuhle Eugene Nkosi (26) was arrested in the early hours of 13 September following intensive Hawks’ Serious Organised Crime Investigation. His matter has been on the court roll since and he remains in custody, he is expected back in court on 10 December pending further investigation.Anyone who knows Khumalo’s whereabouts is urged to contact the Investigating Officer Colonel Daniel Hall: 071 481 3281. Information received will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.

    Alleged fraudster sought for siphoning R3 million

    The Hawks’ Serious Commercial Crime Investigation unit in Mpumalanga is requesting for assistance from the public to identify a person of interest as per attached pictures in connection with fraud.
    It is alleged that in 2013, an unknown suspect who claimed to work for the Mbombela Municipality fraudulently opened a bank account using false particulars. The Mpumalanga Provincial Department of Public Works allegedly paid R3 million into the said account seemingly to settle an account owed to the Municipality. It later emerged that the money was paid into the alleged fraudster’ account.
    The Hawks’ investigation with the aid of footage obtained from the bank where the account was opened, discovered that large cash withdrawals were made from ATMs and inside various bank branches in Gauteng including Kempton Park, Ormonde, Sandton and other surrounding areas. Anyone with information regarding his whereabouts is urged to contact the investigating officers: Captain Mandla Mphephethe at 071 481 3295 and Captain Jabu Mahlangu at 072 5497 802.

    Hawks sting leads to arrest of two suspects for corruption

    The collaboration between the DPCI and the SIU has led to the arrest of two suspects for alleged bribery in Polokwane. The two suspects, 34 and 44, were arrested by Hawks serious corruption members on Wednesday, 13 November, after they bribed an SIU investigator to exclude the portion of the report that recommended that their company be charged criminally and further asked to reduce the amount to be paid back.
    The finding was that the service should pay back R3 million and face criminal charges for a tender that was not serviced yet they submitted documents to the Mopani Municipality for payments.
    On Wednesday, 13 November, in one of Polokwane’s hotels, the suspects met the investigator and handed over a R300 000 gratification which led to their immediate arrest. Efforts are already underway to forfeit the R300 000 bribe money to the state and also to ascertain that the suspects are liable to pay back the R3 million. The National Head of the DPCI, Lieutenant General Godfrey Lebeya has congratulated both teams for collaborating in the arrest of the two suspects. He welcomed the ongoing efforts by law enforcement by identifying and imposing significant arrests as well as investing in integrity and protecting government institutions from corruption. Meanwhile, the Head of the SIU National Advocate, Any Mothibi has also welcomed the arrest of the criminals and commended the SIU investigator who has demonstrated that SIU investigators put integrity at the centre of their work. Advocate Mothibi also commended the excellent collaboration between the SIU and Hawks that led to the arrest.
    “We are proud of our official who stayed true to what he stands for and put integrity before greed,” he concluded. 

    Provincial commissioner welcomes hefty sentence meted out against rapist

    The Provincial Commissioner of the South African Police Service in Mpumalanga, Lieutenant General Mondli Zuma has welcomed a hefty sentence meted down by the Witbank Magistrate’s Court where a 36-year-old man was sentenced to life imprisonment for raping his 11-year-old niece.
    According to evidence presented in court, the incident took place on 25 December 2014, at Likazi, Coronation in Witbank. The accused, who cannot be named to protect the identity of the child, had invited his sister with her children to celebrate Christmas together. That evening while everyone was asleep, except for the child who was watching TV with the accused, it was reported that he grabbed her and raped her.
    The court heard how the accused threatened the child not to tell anyone about what had happened and gave her R30 to keep it a secret. The following morning the victim reported the incident to her mother who alerted the police and the accused was arrested.
    General Zuma is pleased with the collective work done by the investigating team, the National Prosecution Authority, the Judiciary as well as Forensics which led to the conviction. He further said that criminals who commit such violent crimes cannot be left roaming around the streets freely while innocent women and children live in fear. Meanwhile, a 33-year-old man appeared in the Witbank Magistrate’s Court tomorrow, 15 November, for dealing in dagga.
    The suspect was arrested on 16 November after members of Middelburg Flying Squad as well as Crime Intelligence received information about a vehicle that was transporting dagga from Nelspruit to Gauteng (Pretoria). They launched an Advocate-Operation on the N4 highway and a suspicious vehicle matching the description was stopped and pulled off the road. They searched it and upon searching, bags of dagga were found inside the vehicle boot, back seat and front seat as well, with an estimated street value of R336 000.

    Hawks seek assistance in identifying wanted suspects for conspiracy to kidnap and murder POPCRU members

    The Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation is asking for help in locating two suspects wanted for alleged conspiracy to kidnap and murder prominent Police And Prisons Civil Rights Union (POPCRU) senior officials. The DPCI has secured warrants of arrest from the Kempton Park Magistrate’s Court for Popcru’s Chief Executive Officer, Zwelinkosi Reuben Mdletshe and Robert Sherriff. Their pursuit comes in the wake of an apparent elaborate plot to kidnap and murder current serving members within the leadership of Popcru.
    The investigation commenced in September this year and so far, it has revealed there was apparent misappropriation of funds that was carried out through Popcru Investment Group of Companies (PIGC). These substantial transactions were allegedly embezzled since 2016.
    A Lesotho national, Neo Letele (34), was arrested in Kempton Park on 6 November. Letele is apparently the middleman who was instructed by Mdletshe and Sherriff to source the assassin who was to be paid R 1 million to execute the hit. This was in an attempt to silence those who wanted the two suspects to account for the funds. Letele made his first court appearance at the Kempton Park Magistrate’s Court on 7 November and a follow-up on 13 November, wherein the case was postponed to 20 November for a formal bail application whilst investigation continue.  
    The Hawks’ would like to urge members of the public who may have knowledge of Mdletshe and Sherriff’s whereabouts to contact Sergeant Steve Ndabambi on 0825594613 or Captain Naborth Mavuso on 0824619486.

    22-year-old appeared in court for murder

    22-year-old Donald Dlamini appeared before the Boschfontein Periodical Court for the alleged murder of his girlfriend. 

    It is alleged that on Tuesday, 12 November, at Schoemansdal, Driekoppies Dam, police received a complaint that Community Policing Forum members have arrested a man suspected of having information of the whereabouts of a girl (believed to be his girlfriend), who was reported missing on 8 November.

    Police immediately rushed to the scene and on arrival, the suspect confessed to have stabbed the 17-year-old victim to death and then burnt her body with tyres for two consecutive days. He further pointed out a place where he committed the evil deeds and her remains (ashes) were found in the bush. He was arrested.

    Dlamini was remanded in custody and the matter postponed to 21 November for a formal bail application.

    The Provincial Commissioner of SAPS in Mpumalanga, Lieutenant General Mondli Zuma, praised the CPF members who worked with the police in making sure that the perpetrator is arrested.

    Police commissioner strongly condemns assault of member and damage of state property, seven people arrested 

    The Provincial Commissioner of Mpumalanga, Lieutenant General Mondli Zuma, has strongly condemned the assault of a member of the police as well as the malicious damage of state property. 

    The condemnation comes after a group of people attacked police and maliciously damaged state property in the area of Elukwatini on Friday, 15 November. Police managed to arrest seven people aged between the ages of 18 and 23 in this regard.

    The report indicates that at around 21:45 the police were obstructed from carrying out their duties when they were busy executing operational duties and enforcing the Liquor Act at a local liquor outlet. 

    These members were confronted by a group of patrons of about 30 people who started pelting them with stones and empty beer bottles. The boisterous crowd severely damaged a state vehicle in the process. 

    One of the police officials was surrounded by a cruel and angry crowd that was throwing a hail of objects at him from all directions. The official, who sustained some injuries, managed to manoeuvre his way out of the mob and in the process, he fired a shot. 

    Some of the suspects were arrested after being identified and appeared at the Eerstehoek Magistrate’s Court on Monday, 18 November, facing charges of malicious damage to state property and assault on a police officer. 

    General Zuma has further sent a stern warning to anyone who attack police that attacking a police official is an attack on the state and that can never be tolerated in this country. “I cannot stand and watch my members that I have sent to uphold the law and ensure public safety, being attacked like that. An example should be made out of the arrested suspects, that South Africa is not a banana republic but rather, a country with law and order,” said General Zuma.

    More suspects are expected to be arrested as the investigation continues.

    Man shot and killed in hospital; suspect(s) sought by police 

    The police have launched a manhunt, following an incident whereby a 34-year-old man was shot and killed at the Emalahleni General Hospital on Saturday, 16 November. 

    Reports indicate that the victim was admitted in hospital on Wednesday,13 November, at around 21h53 with gunshot wounds in his upper body.

    According to police information, at about 18h45 the victim was in a hospital ward with other people when the suspect entered the ward. 

    It is believed that the victim had recognised the man and immediately a scuffle ensued between them to a point where they reached the corridors of the ward. The suspect allegedly drew a pistol and shot the victim several times and left the hospital.

    The Provincial Commissioner of Mpumalanga, Lieutenant General Mondli Zuma, has condemned the senseless killing of the man and indicated that police will not rest until the suspect(s) of this heinous crime is/are put behind bars. 

    No one has been arrested yet and police calls on anyone with information that can assist in apprehending the suspect(s). Members of the public can call 10111 or anonymously call Crime Stop on 08600 10 111.


    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here

    Crime Snippets