fbpx

Donate and HELP us spread the News

We need your HELP!, Donate R50 to assist The Bulletin in reporting on your Community News. Click on the donate button on the right. →

Friday, September 25, 2020
Pay
16.1 C
Secunda
More

    eMbalenhle: another shack burnt down

    When the fire department from GMM arrived, it was too late as nothing could be salvaged from the shack.

    eMbalenhle extension 17 community members woke up in the middle of the night of Sunday, 8 August, when a shack was burning.
    Fortunately, at the time of the incident, there was no one inside the shack as the shack was rented out to a person who was at work doing night shift at the time. Community members blamed electricity power cuts that had been going on since early May this year, saying that the owner might have left some electric appliances unattended. 
    When the fire department from GMM arrived, it was too late as nothing could be salvaged from the shack. “We find it very strange that we still experience power cuts in eMbalenhle and it’s ridiculous,” said one of the angry neighbours.
    We kindly urge all members of the community to treat all electric appliances as live and dangerous at all times and to make sure that appliances are switched off and unplugged when not in use.
    The problem started early this year, leaving more than 11 houses burnt down in and around eMbalenhle. In one instance a father died with all his children at extension 19 in a horrific shack fire. It doesn’t look as if it will get better anytime soon as the planned power cuts continue and no one knows when it will stop.
    At the time of printing this story, no one from the Govan Mbeki Municipality has responded to the thorny issue of power cuts in eMbalenhle. – Sandile Mkhwanazi

    eMbalenhle: another shack burnt down